Monday, June 11, 2012

"Nice rack"

So wanting to build more power in the legs to supplement my endurance training, I started checking the internet to see if I could find any ways to make a home made squat rack/power rack. Well as you might imagine, there were plenty of ideas. So I narrowed it down to this one, and here it is and this is the one I built. So when people see it, they think it's metal. I just painted it black. The upright 4 legs are 2 x 6's doubled together for strength and then spotter pin holes are drilled through every 5 inches. The things holding up the squat bar and bench bar are 45 degree street elbow 1 inch galvanized plumbing pipe, then a 4 inch pipe goes through the hole and out the other side where it is capped with a washer or you could use a flange. Super bomber strength. This rack enables me to do squats, bench press, pull-ups, chin-ups, and a dip station which are the bars you can see coming out the front. They come on and off within seconds so they are not permanent. The best thing is that you don't have to go to the gym. I dislike gyms for alot of reasons, but mainly, they tend to be social scenes and the next thing you know, you see people wanting to talk to you and taking up 15 minutes of your limited time already which cuts into your workout. This rack is super sturdy, and took a weekend for me to build, all for probably around $150. When it'something that you built yourself, you take an even greater pride in it and are more likely to be motivated to use it. I really enjoy working out on it. I think there are additional elements that I can add to this if I want but I think it has everything covered with the bench that inclines as well. post by Bryan Greaser

No comments: