Monday, April 13, 2009

This and that....

Some general notes on the early season....

On May 16, 2009 the Ozark Greenways Adventure Race is set and we once again will be entering this race. It will be myself, Marc, Ken and Jill. Last year we entered and raced under the team name, "Epic Adventures," and had a great race (See our 2008 blog posts.) We are hopeful for another great race this year.

Marc and Ken have been trail running alot, and I am wanting to do a few of those races as well. I have had a goal now for a couple of years to run a 50 mile trail ultra but it just hasn't happened for me yet. I am looking at doing the Bonk Hard Berryman duathlon again this year though in August or September. I did it last year with my friend Matt Ochs and I ended up running 27 miles on the Berryman trail, but with one hour breaks in between laps while Matt mountain biked the bike course. Marc and Ken are running the Frisco 50k on April 18th.

On June 6 I am planning on going down to Arkansas for an Ozark Extreme Adv Racing race at Village Creek State Park. I'll do the Advanced Course.

Our team still hasn't done the Berryman Adventure yet. I am really hoping to do it this year. I hope our team can do it, but if not I will look at alternatives like finding a replacement for whomever cannot race it or finding a team to join that might need another male racer.

Jill and I recently ordered some new take apart kayak paddles.
We decided to give these economical paddles a try, as none of us are in a hurry to go out and buy an Epic Wing paddle for $400. We are crossing our fingers on these paddles. I often find myself using the "You get what you pay for" phrase, but hopefully these will turn out to be solid paddles for the price. The weight looks good and the breakdown length of 25 inches looks about as small as I found. I will post an update when they arrive. If they turn out to be good this is a great find for adv racers on a budget! They are the Advanced Elements Packlight Four piece take apart paddles, and we found them for $59.

Post by Bryan Greaser

No comments: