Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Katy Trail 50

Saturday, the 18th was the second annual running of the La Sportiva Katy Trail 50. I decided to participate in this run for a couple of reasons. One, perhaps a bit of redemption due to my recent DNF @ Leadville, and second, I really wanted to test out my newly implemented shoe wedge with a legitimate trial before I put myself into a race situation with the Cyclewerx team. I really didn't want to hit uncharted waters with my joint history, & an entirely new running strategy.

Friday evening we drove to Boonville. Upon arrival, we dined at Glenn's Cafe in the Hotel Frederick. The food was fabulous, so we enjoyed our meal & retired to our quarters for the evening. In retrospect, I so wish I had arranged to stay at the Frederick, but live & learn- I will stay there next time. We picked up my pre-race packet, bib, shirt, the usual fare, & had the pre-race evening freak-out.

I woke up early Saturday for the run & went down for the "continental breakfast." Read, Dolly Madison donuts & coffee...sort of. I didn't even care, but they promised me hot water for my oatmeal & there was none. :(

After a luke-warm breakfast of hearty oats, we loaded in the car & zipped over to the trailhead. First the countdown, & then we were off. We ran out about 2 1/2 miles so we could end at the right spot, then turned & came back. I picked up a full water bottle @ the start & took off. I was having a wonderful run, reminiscent of my PR on the Frisco Trail. The trail was the same, & I felt the same, so what the heck. I opened it up, & abandoned my run 25 minutes, walk 5 strategy for the run run run run run strategy.

I zipped through several aid stations & the turn-around, picking water at each of them. I had on my fanny pack full of gels, so I was good to go there. I met some nice folks, & Tom & I played cat & mouse all day. When we reached mile 30, we were both cooked. I had yet to pee, & Tom wasn't in much better shape. That's odd for me, as I usually pee at least every 10 miles.

We spent about 10 minutes in that area, longer than we wanted, but it was much needed. As we rolled out, our walk/run strategy had been reversed to run 5/walk 25, but at least we were moving. The temps kept climbing with the humidity...someone even passed out on the trail.

As we approached mile 38, Tom suggested we continue the death march to the finish line together. I told him I was sorry, but I would not be going on at this point. I bid him farewell as he filled his bottles & hit the trail. Since my 9 hour time goal was blown, I asked how long I had until the cut-off...& when will I be pulled from the race? The guy @ the check point said I had over 3 hours, & that was all I needed to hear. I pulled my phone from my pack & called my wife, and then I explained to her, I needed 5 minutes to fall asleep, & then a 30 minute nap before she was to call me back. After some smart aleck comments about the tortoise & the hare, she agreed. I told the guy running the table, "I am fine, don't let anyone bother me, I just need a nap." So I laid down in the somewhat shady spot in the middle of the road & passed out. Exactly 35 minutes later, my phone rang. I jumped up, thanked Tammy for the call, & spent another 6-7 minutes doctoring my new blisters.
As I left the checkpoint, I know they were all betting against me. None of them thought I could even finish the race. My gait was pretty ridiculous, if I do say so myself, but on I went. After about 5 minutes, I was actually able to run again.

By the time I had reached the next checkpoint, they told me I had gained 15 minutes on Tom, & they thought I might actually catch him. I only had 12 miles to do so from my napping point, so I doubted it. 30 minutes later, the hail & lightning started; dime size hail & lots of lightning. I ran as hard as I was able, & finally crossed the finish line in the rain & storm. They told me Tom beat me by about 7 minutes, even after my 41 minute side-show, but it didn't matter. I had another successful run.

It reminded me of what I believe to be true about running, every run is a great run, some are greater than others.

No comments: