Thursday, March 19, 2009

3 Days of Syllamo- 50k



Ken and I travelled down Hwy. 5 South to run the 3 days of Syllamo 50k trail race. It was a tough drive down there with both of us struggling to stay awake at times. We arrived about thirty minutes before the start. We sat in the truck for the last few minutes before the start with the engine running and the heater cranked. I have learned to almost hate the morning of a race because of the anticipation of just wanting to get out there and go.




At last we were off. The race headquarters was where the first aid station was at the Sylamore 25k that I had done three weeks earlier. I do not have the patience to tell about all of the details of the run. Two people, among many, that we became acquainted with were Lindy from Republic, MO and Robert from Georgia. I believe that he said Augusta. Allen Honeycutt lives in Berryville, AR and we talked for a small stretch. That is one of the neatest things about these races. No one is so ultra competitive that they cannot talk. You can tell that they are just happy to be out there experiencing the trails and the people.




The run ended up being twenty-five miles. The experience was awesome. I do not know what next year holds but I would like to run all three days next year. The three days consists of a 50k, 50-miler, and a 20k.
The legs were tired on the drive home and we had to make a couple of stops to stretch and revive a little. I definitely know what they mean by a runner's high after completing these races. I hope to do a 50-miler soon.


My next race will be the Frisco Highline 50k on April 18th. Overall, I feel like leg strength is my biggest training thing right now. I just need to get more miles in on running.
This post is by Marc.

No comments: